Thank you for using the Scientific Literacy Tool!
- Website at literacytool.com (the “Website”);
- literacytool.herokuapp.com (“private area of our Website”)
- The Scientific Literacy Tool extension/Literacy Tool extension (the “Extension”) downloaded from the Chrome store;
- The “literacy tool” social media (“Social media”);
which will be collectively referred to as “Services”.
1. Who provides the Literacy tool Services?
The Literacy Tool Services are provided by the social enterprise Literacy Tool Ltd (“we”, “us” and “our”), registered in England and Wales under company number 9116887.
2. Who can use the “Scientific Literacy Tool” Extension?
2.1 The use of the Extension and private area of our Website is restricted to our registered users. You must keep your password private, confidential and secure as well as inform us if you suspect any breach to your account or unauthorized access to your password. We reserve the right to disable any such compromised account.
2.3 You must be 13 years old or older to use any of our Services.
3. Using the “Scientific Literacy tool” Services
3.1 Except as permitted by local law, when you download Extension and/or register to the private area of our Website, you undertake:
- Not to copy, rent, lease, sub-license, loan, translate, merge, adapt, vary or modify the whole or any part of our Extension and/or private area of our Website, nor allow our Extension and/or private area of our Website or any part of them to be combined with, or become incorporated in, any other program;
- Not to disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer or create derivative works based on the whole or any part of our Extension and/or private area of our Website nor attempt to do any such thing;
- Not to remove or change our copyright or any proprietary notice on our Extension and/or private area of our Website.
3.2 You acknowledge that we are the owner of or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our:
- literacytool.com Website and the material published on it, except third party content;
- Extension and corresponding private area of our Website, except third party content;
- The material published on the Literacy tool Social media by any employee or authorized representative of Literacy Tool Ltd.
4. Acceptable use of our Services
4.2 “User Content” means any original material you post on or through our Website, private area of our Website, Extension, or social media – including, without limitation, comments, personal profiles and communications with other users. We do not claim any ownership rights in your User Content. After posting or uploading your User Content to the Website, except for the permissions granted to us in paragraph 4.3, you continue to retain all your rights in such User Content.
4.3 By posting your User Content you represent and warrant that your User Content:
- is original and licensed to you;
- complies with all applicable laws and regulations;
- does not contain any unlawful information;
- shall not be harmful or threat the health of any user;
- does and will not require us to pay any person or entity as a result of its use.
4.4 You may not use our Services:
4.4.1 In any way that:
- directly or indirectly breaches any applicable law or regulation, or that assists in, advocates, or promotes any unlawful act;
- breaches any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence;
- may deceive any person;
- may be harmful to any person;
- is defamatory of any person or group of people, obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory;
- promotes pornographic material, violence, or discrimination of any kind;
- infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, database right, or any other intellectual property right of any other person;
- is threatening, abusive or invades another’s privacy, or is likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
4.4.2 to falsify your identity and/or affiliation;
4.4.3 to make available any content that includes any unauthorized and/or unsolicited commercial or non-commercial solicitation.
4.4.4 to transmit any data, send or upload any material that may harm any computer software or hardware.
4.4.5 to extract, reproduce, or modify any content, data, information or other material from our Services by any manual or automated means.
4.4.6 to access without permission, interfere with, damage or disrupt any equipment, network or software owned or used by us or any third party.
4.4.7 If you are younger than 13 years old.
5.1 To complain about any content posted to any of our Services, please contact us at “email@example.com”. Please provide your contact information as well as information concerning your complaint.
- send you a warning;
- temporarily or permanently close your account;
- temporarily or permanently delete any of your posts or materials you uploaded to any of our Services;
- Proceed with legal action against you including proceedings for reimbursement of any cost on an indemnity basis resulting from the breach;
- disclose information about you to law enforcement authorities;
- disclose your identity to any third party claiming that you violated their legal rights;
6. Our Services are frequently updated
6.1 We take all reasonable measures to keep our Services available at all times. However, whenever needed and without notice, we may update, close, delete, suspend, modify, or discontinue any of our Services or contents, for a limited time or indefinitely.
6.2 We will not be liable if any of our Services or contents is unavailable to you at any time or for any period.
6.3 We are under no obligation to update any material on our Services.
7. Warranty disclaimer and Limitation of liability
You hereby acknowledge that we have no special relationship with you or any fiduciary duty to you. You also acknowledge that we have no control over, and no duty to take any action regarding:
- the users accessing our Services;
- the content you access via the Services;
- the effects the content may have on you;
- your interpretation or use of the content;
- your actions following the use of our Services or any content provided through our Services.
You release us from all liability for you having acquired or not acquired any material, content, or service through our Services.
THE SERVICES AND ALL CONTENT ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITHOUT ANY REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NONINFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND ANY GUARANTY OR ASSURANCE THE SERVICES WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR USE, OR THAT ALL FEATURES, FUNCTIONS OR OPERATIONS WILL BE AVAILABLE OR PERFORM AS DESCRIBED, OR THAT THE SERVICES WILL BE FREE OF ANY HARMFUL COMPONENTS. Without limiting the foregoing, we are not responsible or liable for any malicious code, delays, inaccuracies, errors, or omissions arising out of your use of the Services.
You understand, acknowledge and agree that you are assuming the entire risk as to your use of the Services.
YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY LAW, WE, OR ANY OF OUR DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES, LICENSORS, PARTNERS, OPERATIONAL SERVICE PROVIDERS, ADVERTISERS, OR SUPPLIERS, SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE, OF ANY KIND, DIRECT OR INDIRECT, IN CONNECTION WITH OR ARISING FROM USE OF THE SERVICES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, COMPENSATORY, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES.
We do not endorse or take responsibility for any material provided by a third-party through our Services.
We will not be liable for the privacy of email addresses, registration and identification information, disk space, communications, confidential or trade- secret information, or any other content stored on our equipment, transmitted over networks accessed by our Services, or otherwise connected with your use of the Services.
8. Reliance on our Services
Information on any of our Services may not be accurate or comprehensive. Consequently, we do not advise you to rely on any material posted on our Services.
9. Links to and from our Services
9.1 Our Services contain links to third party sites and resources. We do not endorse or assume any responsibility for any such third-party content, product, or service nor any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them. If you use any website, product, or service provided by a third party, you do so at your own risk.
9.2 A Third party wishing to link to our Services is entitled to do so on condition that:
- It doesn’t imply we endorse any third party content, product, material, or service;
- It doesn’t misrepresent the relationship with any of our Services;
- It doesn’t contain any offensive or unlawful content.
10. Jurisdiction and applicable law
For the purpose of the UK Data Protection Act 1998 (the “Act”), the data controller is Literacy Tool Ltd.
11.1 Information we save:
By using our Services the following information will be saved in our servers:
- Registration information: your email address and password.
- Your account: Information uploaded to your account by using the Extension and corresponding private area of our Website are saved (websites, terminologies, and resources you choose to explore using the Extension as well as any other information you might choose to add to your account).
- Comments and feedbacks. Your comments, posts, questions, requests, feedbacks, as well as email(s) you send us are saved.
We also collect information by using cookies (Google Analytics) that help us:
- evaluate our user base;
- administer, secure and improve our Services.
11.3 Use of your information and User Content
By posting any User Content, you allow us to further extract data from the User Content you provide. We use your information to provide the following services:
- register, login, create and update your account profile;
- participate in our social media and Services;
- to present content from the Services;
- to generate recommendations;
- to deal with your queries, complaints or concerns;
- to notify you about changes or updates to the Services;
- for research and development to evaluate and enhance the Services;
- for the Services, system administration, and technical support;
- to aggregate statistical information.
11.4 Disclosure of your information
We may need to disclose your personal information to:
- comply with any legal obligation or respond to law enforcement;
- investigate and help prevent any malicious activity;
- protect the rights, property or safety of our users, employees or others.
11.5 Editing and deletion of your information
You can edit and delete any personal data you upload to the Service, except any content you choose to share with others.
If you wish to delete your account, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Delete account”.
11.6 Cross-border transfer of your information
We are using a server service which is distributed in several countries, hence, your information may be transferred to other countries. By using our Service you consent to the transfer of your information to countries outside of your country of residence, which may have different personal data protection rules than in your country.
12. Your concerns
If you have any comment or concern regarding our Services, please contact us at “email@example.com”.
Thank you for visiting our website and using the Scientific Literacy Tool,
The Literacy Tool team.